Now that my time in Belize has wound down, I thought I’d share 10 fun facts about my stay/adventures in the country.
1. No matter what body type you are, you WILL get hit on. Take it as a compliment and just go with it.
2. “Rice and beans” means that the rice and beans are mixed together. “Stew beans and rice” means that rice is served with beans on the side. The latter is better.
3. Public transportation consists of riding around in a large school bus. Getting on is a free for all, so any reservations you have about knocking down grandmas and little kids need to be ignored. (Kidding. Or am I?)
4. You will not always get a seat on the bus, so be prepared to fulfill your childhood dream of aisle surfing.
5. BUY THE FOOD THE VENDORS ARE SELLING ON THE BUS. This is probably some of the best food you will have during your trip. Stop being a germaphobe and buy those plantain chips and coconut tarts.
6. Easter Sunday doesn’t matter. But Good Friday and Easter Monday do. Plan to make your own meals on these days and take advantage of any local tours or sights because places will be deserted.
7. If you only stay on the coast, you are doing a HUGE disservice to your trip. The things I did inland greatly outweighed the awesome things I did on the beach. (Ok, maybe not snorkeling with Juni, but you get what I’m saying.)
8. If you are taller than 5’7 and even remotely thin, you will be nicknamed “Slim”. Just go with that as well and be thankful that someone noticed your pre-vacation workout plan.
9. When staying in a hostel, do not bring up semi-touchy national issues with foreigners. Example A: If you are British, trying to carry on a conversation about racism and the KKK in the southern US states will not go over well. Especially if you think you have an opinion about it. Better stick with the classic North Korea one liners.
10. Belizeans are some of the friendliest and most genuine people that I’ve met. Make sure you “Go Slow” and take time to chat with them. You won’t be sorry!
Photos without a blog post home: